Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Mom

My mom is awesome. And I don't mean in a "Dude! Your mom is AWESOME!" kind of way. She is a truly awe-inspiring woman. Mother of eight children, married to the love of her life for 46 years, she is my example of a strong, vivacious, independent, dynamic woman. My dad was 22 and she was 20 when they wed. I've seen the pictures of the fresh-faced, smiling couple they were. That young Navy man had no idea that 46 years later, he'd be sitting by that beautiful woman's bedside, watching helplessly as cancer eats at her body. Last week, I joined him at my mother's bedside and saw these two amazing people struggling together, trusting in God and the strength they found in each other. And, drawing on his love for her and his knowledge of her, he told the doctors what he knew she would say if she could: "Keep fighting."

The doctors painted a bleak picture, giving my sweet little mom less than a 50/50 chance of making it through the surgery my father wanted for her. But, when asked during her lucid moments, she would give a defiant thumbs up. "Yes," she would clearly say with her bright blue eyes, "keep fighting!" So, last week, they took courage and wheeled her into the operating room, where a team of skilled surgeons labored over her for 16 hours. It should have killed her. They said it would. But, I told my sister, "They don't know our mom!" They weren't counting on her strength and faith. She came out of the operating room, very alive and still fighting. My mother's journey through this life is not yet over. She has defied the odds and the doctors. She continues to improve at an amazing rate. She is awesome.

I am really close to my mom. We've been best friends for...ever. As I struggled with the very real possibility of losing her much sooner than I was prepared for, I remembered what she'd taught me my whole life: God has a plan for each of us. He knows us. He is aware of our struggles and heartbreak, our challenges and tears. I know that, with all my heart. More now than ever. Trusting can be hard, but if we do, He will direct our paths for good.

Have a great day! :)

1 comment:

  1. I am glad things went well during the surgery. We are thinking of you and your Mom and wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated by me before they show up here! If you want me/us to read the comment, but no one else, just say so in your comment. :)