Sunday, September 12, 2010

Doing what I can do

Wish I had something deep and/or profound to say. Truly. I don't. I'm not deep and/or profound very often. If you want deep and profound, go talk to my dad or my sister. They are deep. They are profound.

I'm just me.

My mom used to always tell me, "You can only do what you can do." I'm not the kind of person people flock around; I'm not super funny, dazzlingly beautiful, or even deep and profound. I'm just me. Through this adoption journey, it has been easy (Oh! So easy!) to feel as if that isn't enough. I'm a quiet, mostly-happy person who doesn't have all the answers. I read, I write, I love a good action flick. I hardly ever make cookies, and I don't bake bread like my mom used to. I'm tired and scared, but I keep going anyway, because my mom taught me to step into the darkness and trust that God will open the way before me. I work hard, I play hard. I love to laugh. I can only do what I can do. I can only be who I truly am. And that IS good enough. Someday a birthmom will be looking for a quiet, laid-back family and here we'll be! We aren't perfect, but we'll be the perfect family for some birthmom and her baby.

You can only do what you can do. We all fall short. We all make mistakes. We all judge ourselves too harshly and wish to be better, different, more this, less that. But we are children of God. He loves us. And he only expects us to do what we can do. In life, in adoption. In all things.

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I LOVE that, "You can only do what you can do." I think of all things that I've learned this year that has been one of the most important, but I didn't have a way to say it. You just put it into words. Also, one thing I know you do have, Mary, is a song in your heart. You always seem to know the fitting song for any situation! Puts a smile on my face EVERY time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated by me before they show up here! If you want me/us to read the comment, but no one else, just say so in your comment. :)