Well...that's what you think, anyway. The truth could be far from the picture you paint in your head. Or, it could be exactly the same. Only that family beaming back at you from that perfect adoption profile really knows.
I look at those families, though, and wonder "How can we ever compare to them? When a birthparent is looking through the profiles, surely they'll choose that wonderfully perfect family."
- We know how to work hard. We do work hard, and support ourselves and our kids. We teach our children to work hard, to be productive, contributing members of society.
- At the end of the day, our kids know they are our entire world. It doesn't matter if the bathroom flooded or if blood was shed in the pursuit of ninja...ness. They know they are loved, cherished, adored beyond words.
- We don't take ourselves too seriously. Laughter is heard daily in our house...and music...and we are often observed dancing around like loons in our living room. And that's okay! We are perfectly silly and crazy! And when those beautiful children laugh, angels sing.
- We might look different from other families, but you can't mistake the joy in my kids' eyes. It comes from knowing they're loved, that even though they look different from Mom and Dad, they still have a sense of belonging because they belong in our family! And guess what? Every child we adopt will have that same sense of love and belonging! Isn't adoption an amazing thing?!
- We have huge extended families, and that ROCKS!!! Long road trips to family reunions with relatives we don't really remember from one year to the other? Bring it on! This is stuff that awesome childhood memories are made out of!
- Andy and I may not be Brangelina, but we love each other deeply, passionately, completely, with a love born of trust and respect. Besides, he's adorable. How can I not love that guy!? *girly giggle*
Anyway, I'm not writing this post to be...I don't know. This post isn't about self promotion ("choose us, we are the best!" uh...no, we don't roll that way), and I hope no one looks at us from the outside and thinks of us as "perfect." Adoption isn't about competition or comparing ourselves to each other. Life isn't about that, either. It's all about being the best versions of ourselves we can possibly be. Remember what my mom always said, "You can only do what you can do." We can only be who we can be: Genuine, loving, caring, fun, adventurous...I know all you adoptive families reading this are all those things. As the old saying goes, "God don't make no junk." That includes families!
So, my inner dialogue will be something I work on from now on. Because we rock! :) And someday...that "perfect" birthmom will come along and think we are perfect...for her.
A song to send you on your way with a smile...