Saturday, October 15, 2011

Words

I told a friend recently that "words are my default." This is especially true when it comes to writing. Happy, sad, angry, I tend to write about it all. Somehow, seeing the words on the screen or paper, describing what's going on in my head, in my heart, within my soul...it's soothing to me. It makes sense. It makes the world make sense. I pour myself out into my writing and come away with the bad stuff in perspective and the good stuff recorded in vibrant, joyful words to be revisited later.

Somedays, my words just don't come out right. They spin around in my head, refusing to be put down in any way, shape or form. On days like that, and on those rare days when I say to myself or others, "I don't have words," music comes into play. It gives me words and expresses my emotions when I can't. That's why I do my songs of the day, because it resonates with me and helps me express what's going on inside my head.

I found an awesome quote last week:


"I have my own particular sorrows, loves, delights; and you have yours. But sorrow, gladness, yearning, hope, love, belong to all of us, in all times and in all places. Music is the only means whereby we feel these emotions in their universality." (H.A. Overstreet)

So, today's song of the day. It's been a Deathcab for Cutie kind of day. And this song really described how I've been feeling lately: a tourist in my own life. Ever feel like that? Like you're just along for the ride? Here's a song for you....



"You Are A Tourist"

This fire grows higher
This fire grows higher
This fire grows higher
This fire grows higher

When there's a burning in your heart
An endless yearning in your heart
Build it bigger than the sun
Let it grow, let it grow
When there's a burning in your heart
Don't be alarmed

This fire grows higher

When there's a doubt within your mind
Because you're thinking all the time
Framing rights into wrongs
Move along, move along
When there's a doubt within your mind

When there's a burning in your heart
And you think it'll burst apart
Or there's nothing to feel
Save the tears, save the tears
When there's a burning in your heart

And if you feel just like a tourist in the city you were born
Then it's time to go
And define your destination
There's so many different places to call home
Because when you find yourself the villain in the story you have written
It's plain to see
That sometimes the best intentions are in need of redemptions
Would you agree?
If so please show me

This fire grows higher
When there's a burning in your heart 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated by me before they show up here! If you want me/us to read the comment, but no one else, just say so in your comment. :)