Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Friends

The virtual world is such a strange place. You "meet" people, chat, even build relationships...without actually meeting. Don't get me wrong. I'm not going to start railing against online relationships. I've never met some of my best friends...

There's the writing friend. We met through a mutual passion for a certain Sci Fi show. Yes, you read that right. We have known each other for four years now, our friendship moving from our fandom and into our love and pursuance of writing. She reads and edits my stuff. She's been reading and editing my stuff for years now. She encourages me, nags me, drives me, corrects me. When my mom died, she was one of the first people I told. She is my friend. She shares my joys and comforts me through my trials. I try to do the same for her, but I fear she is by far the better friend. I love this person dearly. I've never met her.

And there's my adoption ladies. We met on an adoption forum and bonded through our various experiences with scammers. We have cheered for each other when babies come home, and cried for each other when life is cruel. They have been there for me like few others. They understand. They know. I love them. I've only met one of the them.

Then there's the new friends who came unexpectedly into my life and are quickly becoming a bright spot in it.  We are still learning about each other, and it's fun discovering what we have in common. I do love them, too.

I have more, but I think you get the picture. :)

I talk to new people all the time online. Some I've grown close to and count as friends. Some have twisted my words and actions for their own evil purposes. As with our non virtual relationships, some are worth the effort, and some...aren't. My sister posted a quote on Facebook a while back...

“There comes a time in life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it, and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard you forget the bad, and focus solely on the good. After all, life is too short to be anything but happy.”


So...yeah... I'm letting go of pointless drama today and surrounding myself with folks to love me and make me laugh. If you're a friend...thanks. If you're not...take off, eh. "I have other things to fill my time..."

Song of the day:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated by me before they show up here! If you want me/us to read the comment, but no one else, just say so in your comment. :)